Do you need to share client data with other users in your office? Below are the steps to save your data to a shared network location for Silver Financial Planner and TOTAL Planning Suite.
Silver Financial Planner:
Silver stores each client file separately. You can save the client files in the location of your choice. The file structure works like Microsoft Word, where each file can be saved to any location and opened from that location.
The default location for Silver client files is on the local computer:
C:\Users\username\Documents\Money Tree Software\Silver Financial Planner 4.0
- Browse to this location using My Computer or Windows Explore. Right click on the folder Silver Financial Planner 4.0 and choose Copy. This will copy the folder and its contents, which are the individual client files (.sfp files).
- Then browse to the shared network drive, right click and choose Paste. This will place a copy of the Silver Financial Planner 4.0 folder, and its contents, on the shared network drive.
- Open Silver Financial Planner. Go to File and Open. The program will be looking in the local Silver Financial Planner 4.0 folder by default. Browse to the shared network drive, where you will find the newly created Silver Financial Planner 4.0 folder. Select a file to open. Once you have opened a file from the location on the network, the next time you choose to open a file the program will default to looking at the network folder location. When you first save a new client file, make sure you follow the same steps of browsing to the network location. The program will remember the last location you saved or opened a client file, meaning you only need to browse to the network location for the first open and save of a client file.
TOTAL Planning Suite:
TOTAL Planning Suite stores all the client information within a single database, which can be shared by moving one database to a shared network location and then pointing each TOTAL Planning Suite user’s program to that shared database.
- Open TOTAL Planning Suite on the computer that has the database you wish to share. The location of the database will be listed along the top of the program.
- Browse to this location using My Computer or Windows Explore. Right click on the folder holding the database (or open the folder and select the database file) and choose Copy. This will copy the folder and its contents, which includes the database that holds all the client information.
- Then browse to the shared network drive, right click and choose Paste. This will place a copy of the folder and its contents (or the simply the database file), on the shared network drive.
- Open TOTAL Planning Suite and choose Open/Change Database from the File menu. The location of the local database will display. Choose Add Database Location. This will allow you to browse to the database you moved to the shared network drive. Browse to the database which is now located on the shared network drive. Select the database and choose Open.
- The newly selected database on the shared network drive will dsiplay and be highlighted. Choose OK.
- Now the program will be connected to the database on the shared network server. You can confirm the lcoation of the database by once again looking along the top of the program.
Repeat steps 4, 5, & 6 for other user’s TOTAL Planning Suite program to connect to the shared database.